An Army of Leaping Toxic Frogs

A raging stampede of the remaining tributes on the horizon prompts my instinctual curiosity. What are they running from, I wonder, and is it still coming? I prepare to leap from my tree and glide once more under the cover of dawn’s darkness, and as I turn back I see another wave of blue. I assume it is just another dying tsunami, but at the slight touch of the wave to a tribute’s ankle, she falls to the ground. At this point, I realize the wall of blue isn’t rolling; it is hopping. What lay before me is a wall of deadly, toxic, however beautiful legion of poison dart frogs. The tribute from before is gone, overtaken by the ocean of indigo and cerulean. The sun begins to rise from the east, the opposite side from where my deadly foes charge from. An army of frogs is what they are called, and the name is somehow funny at this time.

I expand my pitch black cloak of darkness, and with one great leap and dive I am soaring above the trees once more. With the warm and humid breeze in my hair, I begin to feel confident about my strategy. Caught up in my own smug thought, I avoid crashing into a tree at the last second. As I glide past it, I look out towards the ocean. It seems much closer than it was last night, and then I realize; it too is an army of the dreaded dart frogs, and it is quickly heading my way. I try to scan the area and find a branch to turn around on, but the closest one I can find is very close to the oncoming legion of deadly amphibians. I waste no time landing and then taking off. A few frogs have already started on the tree I’m on when I take off.

Just as I begin to believe I am in the clear, I feel a slight tingle on my ankle. Assuring myself it’s just my imagination, I continue gliding. Once more, I feel the slight tingling sensation, but this time I am positive it is real. I glance back and to my horror, a poisonous frog has gripped onto my ankle. Spastically, I flail my legs and kick it off, but not before I feel a small little pinch. Have I simply hurt myself while I was removing the frog? Or has something much, much worse happened?

4 thoughts on “An Army of Leaping Toxic Frogs

1. WOW! Your post was very suspenseful! I loved how you were questioning yourself at the end of the post. It made me really wonder what happened next. Did you die? Did you live? It was all unanswered and I liked that! Overall I thought that you did a great job! Your descriptive detail was perfect and I could picture everything that was happening! GOOD WORK!

2. I thought this was a great piece. It was very fun to read. The first sentence really set the tone for the whole post, and I loved it. There’s really not much I’d change about this piece. You used the word “glide” a few times, though. If you could’ve used some synonyms instead, then that would’ve made this piece a bit better. Also, I’d make the title “The Mayhem Continues” because that’s what Mrs. Davis told us to make it. I don’t know if you’re going to be penalized for that. You did a great job.

3. I really enjoyed reading this. It had great descriptive details, and I loved learning how you escaped! The only few things that I found were that in the first paragraph you said, “I prepare to leap from my tree and glide once more under the cover of dawn’s darkness, and as I turn back I see another wave of blue.” and I didn’t read you ever seeing a first wave of blue. So saying that you saw ANOTHER wave doesn’t really make sense. Also, you kept referring to the frogs as a wall, or a wave, so I wish that you would have changed up the wording to something else such as army, etc. Other than those mindless mistakes, I LOVED this writing piece!